Tuesday, August 11, 2020

My book about type

 Ha, now it's been five years since my last post. I've beaten my own record for infrequent posting. The impetus for this post is that Bloomsbury (my and JK Rowlings[!] publisher) just published my book "Advanced Typography." Thank god I got it done (more or less) before COVID made my responsibilities at OCAD more onerous. Everything I know about type in 256 pages.

This has been the worse summer ever in terms of having to do school-related work, and the shit of preparing for online teaching is flying towards the fan of September's semester start much faster than I would wish. Still, Zoom aside, more and more people are communicating through type. So this fall, I think the emphasis of my typography classes might shift a bit more to typographic content than typographic form. Not that I'll be ignoring form, but while typography can clarify language, typographic content is the reason typography exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment